Concrete coatings are growing in popularity as people are made aware of their benefits. Not only do they look incredible, but they are a cheap and easy way to take your basement, garage, or any other concrete surface from blah to beautiful. They can be shiny, matte, nonstick, nonslip, and more. Concrete coatings can transform a space without too much expense or upkeep.
Because the cost is so affordable, many people like the idea of doing it themselves. A DIY concrete coating is definitely a task worth doing, and achievable for many people. However, over the years we have seen many mistakes and problems with DIY concrete coatings and there are several things to consider before you tackle this project.
Five (5) Things to Consider Before You DIY Concrete Coatings
- Special Tools. Often people see the price tag on the coating kit and think “Aha! That’s all I need? Cheap!” but you may need more than the kit. To properly use the kit, you’ll first need to prep the area with a wet-dry vacuum, which many people don’t have, degreasers and stiff brushes, and sometimes even a pressure washer. You’ll need brushes, wipers, and other application tools which are sometimes not included, and safety items like gloves and glasses.
- Ventilation is Key. We see a lot of people get woozy or even sick when they improperly apply the coating without ventilation. You have to be very careful to avoid the chemicals when you are applying the coating, and the fumes can make you very sick if you’re not diligent.
- Proper Preparation. Many customers come to us to fix DIY concrete coating which have ripples, cracks, or peeling. This was because the surface wasn’t painstakingly prepared. It’s a hard process, but a necessary one, and sometimes professionals are needed.
- Time & Effort. For whatever reason, you think that a full day of working in your garage is no big deal, but we see time and time again that people stop halfway through, or take several days to conquer the task. It’s hard work! You may not have the time or effort it takes to get it done in a timely manner. That’s ok – sometimes it’s worth it to just hire the professionals! They’re faster anyway.
- Mistakes. You’ve likely never done this before, which means it’s natural to make simple mistakes. Improperly mixing the acid wash or coating can ruin the project. So can applying before the previous layer is dry, or applying in the wrong order. Little imperfections might not be a big deal, but if you want it to look like a showroom floor when you DIY you may need to lower your expectations.
If you are looking to add concrete coatings to your garage, basement, or other concrete surface on your property, DIY might be a great option for you. Be sure to think through all the steps and requirements first. If you realize that DIY may not be for you, there are affordable professional options to give you the perfect concrete coating without the backbreaking frustration. Call Hard Rock Concrete Coatings today!